Thursday, February 21, 2013

Blog Post About Blogging

It has occurred to me, that there are mixed reviews about blogging, in general, which are negatively impacting enjoyment of it. Some things have been brought to my attention that I would like to address, so I am going to post a few boring clarifications.

  1. If you do not wish to have your picture posted to our family blog, please let me know that. In light of recent concerns about social networking and public access to personal information, I am trying to be more sensitive to privacy concerns. This is currently a public blog and I apologize if I have inadvertently shared pictures with the world wide web without your consent. In a couple of recent instances, I have removed photos for this reason. Although all of the pictures shared were all in good taste; lovely, happy photos, I respect your desire for privacy. That being said, if you are in the other camp, and would prefer your 15 minutes of fame restored, by all means email me and I will be happy to include you in our sharing.
  2. Yes...I have tried to make the blog viewable "by invitation only", but blogger makes it too difficult for viewers to follow and comment when viewers don't have Google accounts (.... making everyone on my list "sign up" and jump through hoops, set up accounts, and other nonsense). I do not wish to exclude anyone based on their level of technological skill, so it is back to being a public blog viewable by simply clicking a link. I send the link out via email once in a while for those who have misplaced it.
  3. It has been said of blogs, "Never has so much been said, by so many, to so few". This is both, funny and true. However, this is still one of the best tools I have available for keeping in touch across the miles. Friends and family alike can check in at their leisure to see what the Burkharts are up to. They can leave it for months or look every day. Hopefully, watching little Ben grow and seeing Dylan being a young man in the world, is more than an extended baby book being kept just for me. I would love it if you all had one I could check out too.
  4. Lastly, in setting up the B-Squared page, I added a widget called a "StatCounter". Rather than post numbers on the blog, like some strange bragging exhibit, it is an invisible IP-Address counter which allows me to see if anyone is actually viewing my letters and pictures, which ones were the most popular, and how viewers find them. I love it when I see hits on the counter. Thank you to all of you who visit our blog and who make the time spent an enjoyable sharing experience. If there are improvements you would like to see, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment