Thursday, July 19, 2012

Dahlias, Glorious Dahlias!

My first dahlia has bloomed! Let the floral fireworks begin!
This little darling has had a pretty rough go of it. We had a very wet autumn. As a result, I had to rush my bulb-hibernation preparations. She survived a winter of less-than-ideal storage conditions. Many of her fellow-tubers were lost to rot. Her tuber was planted late due to bizarre vernal weather delays. Then, once planted, our tenacious pup dug it up and deposited it on the lawn; twice. I had to flat-out replace many damaged neighboring bulbs (80% of my plantings). You can imagine my surprise when this tough plantlet was observed poking up out of the ground on May 21st!

Grandpa Jon, a master at Dahlia cultivation, gave me the great-grandma of this tuber. The bulbs he gave me are all the largest, most robust, plants in my Dahlia bed. This is the first bloom of the year! Just look at her! Isn't she beautiful, standing there with her little baby sisters, sunning herself?

2 comments:

  1. Woohoo! Great job honey! All your hard work paid off and I'm excited to see the others join in the fireworks display! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful flower. You have become a full-fledged gardener. Gardners battle rain, wind, frost, slugs, aphids, kids and dogs to get the result in the picture on this page. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete