Friday, September 23, 2011

Ode to 2nd Hand Shopping

I am a big proponent of buying things used when you can. In my opinion, refusing to shop at thrift stores and consignment shops is like recycling but then refusing to buy anything containing post-consumer waste. That being said, sometimes you can't find what you are looking for and sometimes there are good reasons that the stuff is there! However, if you look carefully, and often enough, you can run into some treasures that are there just for you.

Take for example this crazy 65-cent "Ducks" shirt I found for Benjamin. It quacks me up! It is perhaps the goofiest shirt he has ever owned. I love art. Don't get me wrong. This just happens to be tagged "not it" in oh so many ways. My local artist friend, Gail, and I critiqued it over coffee. It is so absurd that I actually love this shirt. Let me tell you why.

Ducks have webbed feet. I think Ben even knows this. How hard is it to draw webbed feet? The fact these this particular fowl have golf-club feet indicates they are not of a common duck genus; nor even a member of the family of Anatidae. But, rather, this appears to be a gaggle of mutant Kangaroo Duck. The "mama duck" appears to have a "joey duck". There is a mound of green grass but the Kangaroo Duck appears to feed on the shards of black "I"s and "M"s found where they stand precariously close to the edge of the stream. The candy-corn shaped bills indicate pecking. We will have a copy of Edward Lear's "The Duck and The Kangaroo" placed on order to eliminate any confusion this illustration may have caused for our young biologist.


You will also notice that the "sunshine" in this picture is actually a soccer ball. And, although the print shop clearly had the color yellow on hand, the sunshine remains white. It could be that the "artist" intended to present white light yet unseparated by a prism. However, my instincts tell me that this whiteout was because the "artist" was as high as this soccer ball when the scene was rendered. Someone forgot to put the "yellow" number on this paint-by-number eyeball in the sky.


Yes, it is a subtle silliness that pervades our home. We are all about animals, shapes and colors these days. We are, simultaneously, working on Benjamin's art appreciation and looking forward to the My Kids Closet consignment sale coming up at the Hamilton Fairgrounds. Who knows what sort of wacky attire I am going to bring home this time!

10 comments:

  1. I just want to go on record to point out that this is the same woman who bought Ben a blue velvet duck on wheels. I rest my case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The velvet duck was new and lovely :) I do not have a duck collection if that is what you are getting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, the duck's feet are a little weird, but what you two should really be worried about is just what that little guy in the photo is really thinking about. I say, it's not the ducks on his t-shirt. There's a lot going on behind those little brown eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh...you guys are cracking me up! My question is "how old do think the artist actually was"? I work with kindergarteners, remember, and that picture seems quite normal to me! :) Yes, my perception of life could be a bit distorted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok...what did i do wrong? Why am i unknown in previous comment? I obviuously forgot something when i registered! Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow...i think i fixed it! Thanks for putting up with my trial and errors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray! Welcome to the blog Cindy (and krew)! I would LOVE some kindergartener-designed t-shirts! That is a great fund-raiser idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good point Connie... the look in his eye probably had nothing to do with the fruit leather he was nawing on either. I think that was when he was trying to decide out how many of his toys he could fit under the refrigerator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, i've been a follower for quite some time, i just hadn't become official until i wanted to comment! We check the Burkhart Blogs quite often!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Cindy! I am so glad. I love your squirrel picture! It is fun seeing your kiddos and pictures on Facebook :)

    ReplyDelete